Candidates participating in the rebate program were issued receipts by the Town Clerk to be used for eligible contributors. The deadline to submit contributor copies of rebate receipts issued by a candidate who did not extend their campaign for the 2018 municipal election has now passed (June 27, 2019).
- the contributor must be an eligible elector, residing in the Town of Oakville;
- the minimum contribution qualifying for a rebate shall be $100;
- each contribution of $100 or more shall be eligible for a rebate of 50%;
- contributors do not exceed the maximum contribution limits of $1200 per candidate and a maximum total contribution of $5000.
- Corporations and Trade Unions are not eligible to participate in the rebate program; and
- a candidate for an office on municipal council or their family member, as defined in By-law 2017-063, are not eligible to receive a rebate for contributions to that individual candidate’s campaign.
For receipts issued by candidate's who's campaign period is extended, under paragraph 4 or 5 of subsection 88.25 (1) of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (the Act), the application for rebate must be submitted within six (6) months after the date the receipt is issued.
Payments for contributors who have met all the requirements will be issued September 2019.
For more details regarding the rebate program please refer to By-law 2017-063.
A candidate for an office on the municipal council who participated in the rebate program:
- shall comply with section 88.25 of the Act as amended, requiring that a financial statement be filed on or before 2 p.m. on the filing date, reflecting the candidate’s election campaign finances;
- shall submit the documents filed under subsection 88.25 of the Act, along with a copy of the receipt issued for each contribution;
- shall pay any campaign surplus to the Corporation of the Town of Oakville which shall become the property of the municipality; and
- shall file all of the appropriate documentation in accordance with the Act, and By-law 2017-063, and any compliance audit applications shall be resolved in favour of the candidate, prior to any rebates being issued to contributors.