The Town Clerk has released the official results of the Municipal Election held on Monday, October 22, 2018 in the Town of Oakville.
The four-year term of office for elected representatives is December 1, 2018 to November 14, 2022. Elected positions include Halton Regional Chair, Mayor and members of Oakville Town Council, trustees for the Halton District School Board and Halton District Catholic School Board and Conseil scolaire Viamonde and Conseil scolaire catholique MonAvenir.
Notice of Court Application
The Town has received a Superior Court, Notice of Application under Section 83 of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (the Act). Under Section 83 of the Act, a person who is entitled to vote in an election may make an application to the Superior Court of Justice requesting that it determine,
- whether the election is valid;
- whether a person’s election to an office in the election is valid;
- if a person’s election to an office is not valid, whether another person was validly elected or is entitled to the office;
- if an election is not valid or a person’s election to an office is not valid, whether a by-election should be held.
- On October 11, 2019, Halton Region brought a motion asking for an order preventing the application from proceeding as it applies to the office of Ward 7 Town and Regional Councillor because the region was not named as a party or served within the statutory time period.
- On January 7, 2020, the Superior Court issued a decision granting the Region's request. Subject to any appeals from this decision, the results of the election as it applies to the position of Ward 7 Town and Regional Councillor are final.
- The application remains outstanding as it applies to the office of Ward 7 Town Councillor. No further hearing dates have been scheduled.